Questions To Ask The Interviewer
When you get to the interview stage for a job, make sure you ask questions. Asking the interviewer questions can help you decided if it’s the right job for you. Asking questions can also show the interviewer that you are interested in the job, and an interviewer is more interested in a candidate that is clearly more interested in the job!
To inspire you, here are some questions that may be useful to ask during an interview:
ABOUT THE JOB
- What can you tell me about this job that isn’t in the description?
- What skills or experience is key to be successful in this job?
- Is there any training given for this role?
- Why is this position available? Is it a new position or a replacement for someone?
- If it’s a replacement role, how long does someone usually stay in this role?
- What is the toughest time of day/week/month/year for the person in this role?
- What are the most important skills of the person who does this job?
- Who does the person in this job report to?
- Will there be any form of training provided?
- What process will be used to evaluate my performance?
- Who is the direct supervisor for the person in this role?
ABOUT THE COMPANY
- What is the key to success in this company?
- How many people are in this department/office/company?
- How many new people have joined this company in the last year?
- How many people have left in the last year?
- Do you think I’ll be a good fit for the organisation
- How does someone get promoted in this company?
- When and how is feedback given to employees?
- How would you describe the general culture of the company and the workplace?
ABOUT THE HIRING PROCESS
- What happens next in your process? When will you be back in touch with me?
- How will you get back in touch with me (telephone, email, or something else)?
- When do you expect to make an offer?
- When would you like the new person to start work?
- Who should I stay in touch with (get name, job title, and contact information)?
- What is the usual time frame for making the hiring decision?
- May I contact you if any further questions arise?
Remember an interview is a two way street – a great way for the interviewer to find out more about you and for you to find out more about the company and role.
Author: Chris Southall
Chris knows what works and doesn’t work when it comes to recruitment. With years of experience and knowledge, Chris finds the right people for the job every time!